GESIBA Head Office

The intention was to improve the current situation, while preserving the valuable existing building and to give the new components a coordinated, generous, in form and material independent appearance. The existing building was built in 1870 and is located in the Vienna protection zone. The facade to Eßlinggasse, in the style of the Viennese Neo-Renaissance, is richly decorated and should remain in this form. On the courtyard side, the U-shaped building with its inserted middle section forms a three-part comb structure. The middle section of the existing office building was demolished and a new building was erected in the form of an extension, which restored the three-part structure and created two attractive courtyards on the first floor. In order to significantly improve the lighting situation, the new building became narrower and the façade was made of glass. The raising of the existing attic to the allowable building height creates the required space for a full 5th and a new 6th floor, this now forms the attic and nestles in shape to the permissible building outline. Two cut out loggias to Eßlinggasse and three roof terraces facing the courtyards create generous open spaces.

  • Client: Gemeinnützige Siedlungs- und Bau AG (GESIBA)
  • Team: Karin Prieler, Sara Vidačak, Norbert Schindler
  • Planning: 2014
  • Start of Construction: September 2016
  • Completion: April 2018
  • Photographs: David Schreyer

Comments are closed.